Wednesday 10 April 2013

Sadie Harris


Sadie Harris is such a beautiful british name and it was the name of my maternal Grandmother.  The brand i am launching is one of tradition and heritage,  all British, made in England.  It speaks of stealth style with an edge.  My grandmother sums up these things for me - she was beautiful, strong, elegant and so very british from a bygone era - an era where womens lives where hard, especially in the North of England, but she lead hers with elegance and above all she loved life, playing the ukelele and starring in local productions.  She married in her early 40's and i think my mother was somewhat of a surprise, sadly she lost her husband when my mother was just 7.  She spent the last twenty years of her life in a mental home the only place for her with early onset alzheimers - i did not know her - i want to dedicate something to her so in some small way her life will live on.



**********

The first collection i am working on is entitled "A very British Summer".  I will be using traditional saville row fabrics,  they will meet feminine form, with 70's referencing.  They will be wearable, easy pieces that cater for our very own brand of weather - light weight tailoring, beautiful lace dresses with lightweight menswear inspired 3/4 coats,  pieces that interchange in soft muted colours with flashes of brights.  It is a collection that will be wearable across age groups with old fashioned couture detailing, and stealth sex appeal.  There will be an element of that old fashioned British 'boys love the girls, girls love the boys' ethos we do so very well.   For this first collection i am very much my own muse.

**********


In the meantime Frank and I are showcasing a design i worked on this winter.  I was definitely having an elegant turn and although i always love texture in my fabrics the colours were more muted and i used a lot of rich deep colours.   In this instance a teal blue alpaca wool for the jacket with a navy lace layered over teal cashmere for the skirt.  Playing with proportion the sleeves were shortened and a dramatic back cut was added to the jacket.  I am pleased with it - it was easy to wear and dress up or down.



Although the sun was shining, the colours were distorting as well as the texture so we moved to the shade


The back is really lovely and although the fabric is soft it is holding the shape well,  i always add a handy pocket!


The collar can be worn turned down but i like the shaping on the neck when up 





************

And finally for all you Franky fans - he wasnt having much of it - but his bum was ..


In the beginning 


In the end

 ************ 

Skirt and Jacket my own design, shoes YSL, bag Bottega Venneta, jumper Eric bompard, Bracelet Hermes (thanks again to Mr), Sunglasses Gucci - navy leather - loving the texture again xxx











32 comments:

  1. Congratulations! This is so exciting and I can't wait to see what you come up with, I love the back story about your grandmother, what a beauty and now I know where you get your innate sense of style from.

    And know that I am lusting after that jacket, it's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much tabitha, she was very beautiful and yes so stylish. And i am so chuffed you like the jacket - it is a goody xxx

      Delete
  2. Bravo Claire! All the very best for your business venture. The jacket and skirt are gorgeous.
    Your grandmother's story is sad, it must have had an impact on your mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire - i am glad you like them - it is sad, but from what i know she really wasn't - it undoubtedly had an effect on my mother x

      Delete
  3. Sensational! I love this look and the back story with your grandmother which hits very close to home with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very elegant style, I love your swinging jacket and the pencil skirt.
    How nice that you dedicate your designs to your grandmother! I am looking forward to see more.

    Annette
    Lady of Style

    ReplyDelete
  5. You grand Mother looks so fabulous and elegant in the picture.....caant wait to see pictures of the entire collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you she does look very elegant - it has always struck me as such x

      Delete
  6. Lovely tailored pieces!
    When is the launch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it will launch Feb/March for next spring - but i will be working on the collections/production/website over the next 9 months x

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing the story about your grandmother, she sounds like she was an amazing woman. I love the jacket, it looks so plush and elegant, and the skirt is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Claire for honouring my mother in this way. She was a lovely person who didn't deserve how her life turned out. Totally different to me physically, I take after my father, even in her eighties she still had naturally black hair with a little grey. Your outfit is beautiful. I love the style of the jacket and especially the way you have used lace over fabric for the skirt. Really stunning. Look forward to seeing more!! Lorra luv, Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadie Harris would be so proud of you and I am sure you are receiving her blessings.
    She was a beautiful and elegant lady. The jacket is spectacular and I love the way it hangs. It is classic and has style.
    I will be following you closely and wish you success.

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Helen - she was v beautiful and so elegant xx

      Delete
  10. Sent over by Tabitha from Bourbon and Pearls and so glad I was. Stunning jacket and I so look forward to your line becoming available. Going to bookmark your blog now. Wonderful tribute to your grandmother, and your mother's comment made me teary. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much Kathy - it is and it was xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to see all your designs F & F! You always put together the best outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have 'lurked' your blog since you first started came via Tabitha,as a big fan of Barns I was smitten....I know it is not about Barns,and I loved the fact that you modelled neutral clothes not the constant black,black shown on many posts!!

    The sepia photo of your beautiful G/mother (her husband is a handsome chap also) women were so elegant then,
    note her fabulous furs,what a wonderful tribute to a truly British lady.
    The icing on the cake is the words to be made in Britain for our British weather,saville row reminds me of my G/father he had his suits made by their tailors.

    Even here in the rural sticks would wear that jacket,especially in chocolate ...I don't wear black......stealthy sex,voooom.
    Hope to see more of your collection.Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Judith - we built/re-built this house 6 years ago - it was a major project - the barn you can see in the shots is the 2nd - i should one day take a pic of the other - it was such a good project - i bought a couple of books and named myself architect/contractor and got some of the best subbies you could ever imagine - 2 years later we were in! I am so pleased you like the jacket and that the brand brings back happy memories - i am not a fan of black myself - in fact it is prob the only colour i may never work with. great comment x

      Delete
  14. This is such a wonderful story! And I absolutely adore the jacket design (and really want to touch it, too - just feels so luxurious!). x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a wonderful fabric - an alpaca mohair blend with a deep nap - it is so much better in the flesh x

      Delete
  15. Claire, that's fabulous news! Congratulations! What a wonderful story about your grandmother.
    Ada

    ReplyDelete
  16. Claire, the story of your grandmother is very moving and it is such a nice gesture from you to find a way to remember her and her style. I love the jacket: your creation have a unique feminine elegance! Caterina

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me encanta tu estilo un beso :)
    http://otheroothero.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover